BUILDING A SMALL PORTABLE LAYOUT IN A FEW WEEKS

Welcome to St Agnes

Views of the Layout

Further Views

Map of the “St Agnes”

Operating the “St Agnes”

The Budd Cars

The Transistor Throttles I use

Building my Throttles

Calculating Scale Speed

Using a Model Lathe 1

Using a Model Lathe 2

Using a Model Lathe 3

Making Searchlight Signals

Ersatz Ground Signals

Making Dummy Signals

MRE “Hints and Tips”

Exhibitions and Layouts

Building a Layout in a short time frame

Simple Street Lighting

Simple Cut out Buildings

Canadian Trees








Updated July 2017


Back in 2010, Melton Model Railway Club built and set up, two modules for a domestic sized layout in HO as a 6 x 4 layout.. These was intended to be a test track to allow our members to run a locomotive in or test some rollingstock over distances. The modules gave the club a portable layout for exhibitions or shows and act as a diversion when anyone wants to take time out and run a train or run in an engine, if the other layouts are being worked on.

The limitations set were the size and easy storage but our aim was to make even such a small layout visually interesting as well as provide the above mentioned functions. We have seen a few layouts made of heavy materials on their sides in sheds which would be difficult for their owners to handle and set up so interest would wane over time. Our hobby is much better than that!




The genesis of this project was came from an exhibition I attended in January 2008 in Warrnambool where there was a layout as a “work in progress”.

This layout used set track curves and flexible track with Peco Streamline points which helped the layout look more of a flowing piece of track rather than a geometric block of track, particularly in the yard aea. The owner/operator told me that the set up of this was quick. The club project was intended to make the process quicker.









We started with a pair of 3 ft by 4 ft (900 x1200mm) foam blocks. These are recycled items and should be fairly easy to obtain. If you cannot get the size you want, you could glue a couple together end for end with PVA glue and allow to them to dry.

We took the liberty of getting some left over earth tone sample pots and painted on accordingly. The earth tones were “muted” with a single earth tone and base painted scenery later. Our first step was to protect the edges of the layout with either Duct Tape ( which we had on hand) or better still using heavy duty “Hundred Mile an Hour” tape.



John Trevor and Aaron taping up the layout edges


TO THE NEXT PAGE